In celebration of Arbor Day in Hawai‘i on Nov. 4, the state Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Forestry and Wildlife is inviting native plant enthusiasts to plant sales and giveaways on Kaua‘i this Friday, Nov. 3.
DOFAW plant nurseries on Kauaʻi will be offering a variety of native plants to encourage their use in home gardening and landscaping. For details regarding each specific plant sale or giveaway, see below:
Kaua‘i Baseyard Nursery
- Date and time: Friday, Nov. 3, 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Location: 4398 Pua Loke Street, Līhuʻe, HI 96766
- Parking information: Parking lot behind the Department of Agriculture
- Example selection of plants: ‘iIima, maile, ʻōhiʻa lehua, wiliwili, ‘akia, naupaka, pohinahina, ‘ūlei, māmaki, kokiʻo keʻo keʻo, and loulu. Two rare native hibiscus species will also be sold: kokiʻo ‘ula (Hibiscus kokiʻo saintjohnianus) and kokiʻo ‘ulaʻula (Hibiscus clayi). Puakenikeni trees will be given away for free.
- Payment types to be accepted: Cash only
- Contact number: 808-212-4495
DLNR’s Arbor Day partners will also have plant sales and giveaways across the state; for more information please visit www.arbordayhawaii.org.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to choose from a wide selection of native plants at a reasonable cost, while supporting the important work DOFAW does in conserving Hawai‘i’s native forests and unique species, some of which are found nowhere else on Earth.