Stay Away from Power Lines When Picking Fruit or Trimming Trees
· Be aware of your surroundings before using any metal tools, poles or ladders.
· Look up and around for power lines before starting any harvesting or trimming. Lines can be hidden in the branches of large trees. If any part of the tree is touching overhead power lines, the tree can become energized and a potential hazard.
· Always keep at least 10 feet away from overhead power lines. This includes ladders, pickers, saws, clippers and any other tools that you may use to pick fruits or trim trees.
· Never trim trees that have power lines going through them.
· Keep metallic balloons, kites, antennas and flying toys away from power lines. They can cause outages of they become tangled in the line.
· If you see any object caught in a power line, assume the line is energized and do not attempt to free it yourself. Call the 24-hour KIUC trouble call line at 246.8200.