Hawaiian Film – “A Place in the Middle” – to Show at Selected Libraries Statewide
The Hawaii State Public Library System will present “A Place in the Middle,” a Hawaii-made anti-bullying film at the heart of a new culturally-centered campaign for safe and inclusive schools, in a series of free community screenings at eight selected public libraries statewide from Friday, September 18 through Wednesday, October 28.
Created by Kumu Hina Wong-Kalu and directed by Dean Hamer and Joe Wilson, “A Place in the Middle” tells the true-life story of a young Hawaiian girl who dreams of leading the boys-only hula troupe at her Honolulu school, and an inspiring teacher who uses traditional culture to empower her. Following the screenings, the team will talk story with the audience about the film and educational campaign, which have been supported by Pacific Islanders in Communications, Hawai’i People’s Fund, Ford Foundation, and PBS LearningMedia.
“We encourage our patrons to learn more about Hawaii’s rich cultural heritage through our libraries’ resources and programs,” said State Librarian Stacey Aldrich. “As community hubs, libraries serve as the perfect venues to host discussions that enable our patrons to connect, learn and celebrate Hawaii’s indigenous and diverse cultures.”
This one-hour program (short film & talk story) is suitable for students, parents, and educators interested in Hawaiian culture and bullying prevention. Free DVDs and teaching guides will be available for participants after the program.
See “A Place in the Middle” at these public libraries:
* Sept. 18 (Friday), 6 p.m. at Thelma Parker Memorial Public & School Library (Hawaii Island), phone: 887-6067
* Sept. 29 (Tuesday), 6 p.m. at Kahuku Public & School Library, phone: 293-8935
* Oct. 3 (Saturday), 3 p.m. at Kihei Public Library (Maui), phone: 875-6833
* Oct. 7 (Wednesday), 6:30 p.m. at Waianae Public Library, phone: 697-7868
* Oct. 14 (Wednesday), 6:30 p.m. at Waimanalo Public & School Library, phone: 259-2610
* Oct. 15 (Thursday), 6 p.m. at Hawaii State Library, First Floor Reading Room, phone: 586-3500
* Oct. 22 (Thursday), 6 p.m. at Hanapepe Public Library (Kauai), phone: 4490 Kona Rd.; tel. 335-8418
* Oct. 28 (Wednesday), 5:00 p.m. at Molokai Public Library, phone: 553-1765
If a sign language interpreter or other special accommodation is needed, contact the hosting library: three weeks in advance for Neighbor island libraries and two weeks in advance for Oahu libraries. The Program schedule is subject to change.
For more information, contact the hosting library or Library Development Services at (808) 831-6878.