Wilcox Health is calling all families for the 12th annual Kids Summer Fest this Saturday, June 1. This long-running event promotes safe and healthy summer fun for Kaua‘i’s keiki and their families, according to a Wilcox Health news release.
The free community event will be held at the Kaua‘i Marriott Resort from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The event will feature interactive health and wellness activities, free sports physicals for children ages 5-18 (first-come, first-served), fun games and snacks (while supplies last).
Children ages 4-18 who visit at least 10 activities and return a completed stamp card will also be eligible to enter to win one of several bicycles and helmets. Children must be present to win.
“Summer is a time for kids to get outdoors and have fun but in a safe and healthy way,” said Dr. Grace Galiza, pediatrician at Kaua‘i Medical Clinic and Kids Summer Fest program chair. “Our Kids Summer Fest was designed to teach children and their families about the importance of leading a healthy, active lifestyle through exercise, proper nutrition, safety and injury prevention.”
More than 20 health and wellness activities, many with interactive games, will be offered in the Kaua‘i Marriott’s Kaua‘i Ballroom and surrounding areas throughout the day. Among the activities are:
- Blend it Your Way Bike Station – Kids will ride a stationary bike and pedal their way to healthy nutritious smoothies.
- Chalk Play – Fun sidewalk games that will encourage keiki to play outside, stimulating their minds through creativity and exercise.
- Let’s Be Healthy: What’s Really in What You Eat and Drink? – Take a close look at how fast food digests and see how it affects one’s health.
- Make Memories with Rudy – Snap a photo with Rudy, Wilcox Medical Center’s Chief Canine Officer.
- Click. Go! – Children will have the opportunity to win a helmet or another bike safety prize by answering safety questions.
- Rehab Obstacle Course – Crawl through tunnels, hop over hurdles, and challenge your strength through a dynamic and fun agility course
- Teddy Bear Clinic – Help a teddy bear recover from a car collision by taking it through a hospital visit.
- Keiki Zumba – designed exclusively for kids (ages 4-6 for ZUMBA® KIDS JR. and 7-11 for ZUMBA® KIDS), classes are rockin’, high-energy fitness parties packed with specially choreographed kid-friendly routines and all the music kids love.
- Ocean Safety Awareness – The Kaua‘i Lifeguard Association will provide important information on ocean safety to help ensure a fun summer at the beach for keiki and families.
The activities are presented by physicians, staff and volunteers of Wilcox Medical Center and Kaua‘i Medical Clinic, as well as Kapi‘olani Medical Center for Women & Children and Hawai‘i Pacific Health. Community partners offering health information and activities include AlohaCare, American Cancer Society, American Medical Response, Coalition for a Tobacco-Free Hawai‘i, HMSA, Hawai‘i Concussion Awareness & Management Program, Hawai‘i Dental Service, Kaua‘i Lifeguard Association, Kaua‘i Police Department and UnitedHealthcare Community Plan.
Registration for the event begins on-site at 9 a.m. Registration forms are available online at WilcoxHealth.org/KidsSummerFest. Families are encouraged to download and complete the registration form and bring it with them to the event.
For more information, call 245-1198 or visit WilcoxHealth.org/KidsSummerFest.